Is there anything wrong with learning from source material that is well over thirty-years old? When it comes to structural repair, the answer is no. Repair is as much an art as an engineering science, a statement that is echoed throughout the seminar manual “Back-to-the Basics Repair of Concrete” supplied by ACI in 1986. The articles and case studies present practice-applicable discussions on concrete cracks, assessments, and repair methods.
Here is a listing of the material in the manual with a few quick notes on the outstanding contributions:
- Crack width, cover, and corrosion
- This is a transcribed debate. It’s worth a read if you are interested in the development of the crack control parameters in A23 or ACI 318.
- Understanding the Cause of Cracking in Concrete: A Diagnostic Aid
- A theoretical overview of fracture mechanics.
- Verification of Structural Adequacy
- This article gives a good checklist for condition surveys
- Causes and Remedies of Distress – Three Case Histories
- A good case study on corbel failures and the necessity for preventing cracks through good design
- Cracking of Concrete – Who Cares?
- A casually written and insightful discussion on cracks
- Inspection, Analysis, and Restoration of MIT Kresge Auditorium
- A detailed case study of a repair project on a shell structure.
- Repairs of Concrete Columns, Spandrels, and Balconies on a High-Rise Housing Complex in Chicago
- A short review of corrosion repair using an acrylic-modified concrete and epoxy mortar.
- Cathodic Protection: Repairing a Parking Structure
- Repair of columns using collars with circular reinforcement
- A detailed overview of the analysis and performance of collared columns
- Hospital strengthened with exterior concrete shearwalls
- A seismic upgrading case study on a hospital. This is good background for the ongoing need to upgrade many critical structures (hospitals, schools, etc.) while still maintaining the accessibility of the structure during the repair.
- Injection Process Halts Bridge Deterioration
- Repairs and Restoration of Reinforced Concrete Columns
- Parking garage repaired using thin polymer concrete overlay
- Cathodic Protection: A Solution to Rebar Corrosion
I reviewed this manual while completing ACI’s (current) “Repair Application Procedures” certificate program. Both resources give helpful strategies for concrete repair work and understanding the nature of cracks.